Lecturer in Chemistry
Frick Laboratory, 321
B. S. in Chemistry, 1991, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
Ph. D. in Chemistry (Experimental Physical Chemistry), 1999, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Honors: Yuan T. Lee Fellowship, 1998
Postdoctoral Research Associate, 2000-2002, University of Minnesota
Guest Researcher, 2002-2004, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Studied the glass transition by monitoring the dynamics of small probes in polymers and organic glass formers using holographic fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP) technique.
- Applied rheology and small-angle x-ray scattering (SAXS) to examine the transition kinetics between microstructures of block copolymers
- Studied polymer properties in thin films for the development of next-generation photoresist materials utilizing neutron reflectometry.
- Applied single-molecule spectroscopy to study protein dynamics.
Current Research Interests:
- Study dynamics in molecular scale (nano-scale) of complex systems.
- Incorporate pioneering research to develop new projects suitable to conduct in the advanced chemistry laboratory for upper-level undergraduate students.
- Experimental Chemistry, Instrumental Analysis, and Physical Chemistry (molecular spectroscopy, computational chemistry, statistical thermodynamics, kinetics, and chemical dynamics).
Matthew L. Landry, Thomas E. Morrell, Theodora K. Karagounis, Chih-Hao Hsia, and Chia-Ying Wang*, “Simple Syntheses of CdSe Quantum Dots” Journal of Chemical Education, 2014, 91, 274.
Bryan D. Vogt, Christopher L. Soles, Chia-Ying Wang, Vivek M. Prabhu, Patricia M. McGuiggan, Jack F. Douglas, Eric K. Lin, Wen-li Wu, Sushil K. Satija, Dario L. Goldfarb, and Marie Angelopoulos, “Water Immersion of Model Photoresists: Interfacial Influences on Water Concentration and Surface Morphology” Journal of Microlithography, Microfabrication, and Microsystems, 2005, 4, 013003.
Bryan D. Vogt, Christopher L. Soles, Ronald L. Jones, Chia-Ying Wang, Eric K. Lin, Wen-li Wu, Sushil K. Satija, Dario L. Goldfarb, and Marie Angelopoulos, “Interfacial Effects on Moisture Absorption in Thin Polymer Films” Langmuir, 2004, 20, 5285.
Wen-li Wu, Sharadha Sambasivan, Chia-Ying Wang, William E. Wallace, Jan Genzer, and Daniel A. Fischer, “A Direct Comparison of Surface and Bulk Chain-Relaxation in Polystyrene” European Physical Journal E, 2003, 12, 127.
Chia-Ying Wang and Timothy P. Lodge, “Kinetics and Mechanisms for the Cylinder-to-Gyroid Transition in a Block Copolymer Solution” Macromolecules, 2002, 35, 6997.
Chia-Ying Wang and Timothy P. Lodge, “Unexpected Intermediate State for the Cylinder-to-Gyroid Transition in a Diblock Copolymer Solution” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 2002, 23, 49.
Chia-Ying Wang and M. D. Ediger, “Lifetime of Spatially Heterogeneous Dynamics in Polystyrene Melt” Journal of Chemical Physics, 2000, 112, 6933.
Chia-Ying Wang and M. D. Ediger, “Anomalous Translational Diffusion: A New Constraint for Models of Molecular Motion Near the Glass Transition Temperature” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2000, 104, 1724.
Chia-Ying Wang and M. D. Ediger, “How Long Do Regions of Different Dynamics Persist in Supercooled ortho-Terphenyl?” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 1999, 103, 4177.
Chia-Ying Wang and M. D. Ediger, “Enhanced Translational Diffusion of 9, 10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene (BPEA) in Polystyrene” Macromolecule, 1997, 30, 4770.